Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Yakkai Thiri (My body the wick...)

yaakkai thiri kaadhal sudar - anbae
jeevan nadhi kaadhal kadal - nenjae
piravi pizhai kaadhal thirutham - nenjae
irudhayam kal kaadhal sirpam - anbae
yaakai thiri kaadhal sudar............fanaah
- Vairamuthu
 
Translation:
My body the wick, your love the flame!
My soul the stream, your love the ocean!
My birth an error, your love the correction!
My heart the stone, your love the sculpture!
In this agonizingly ecstatic state of mind: Fanaah.......... 

5 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Sutharsanan said...

And why do say that my friend?

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Sutharsanan said...

Dont deny the original meaning is lost thru translation, point taken there. But beautiful objects, or poetry in my opinion is always worth sharing, hence the translation. So pardon me if readers feel my translation is inaccurate. And dude, I wasnt thinking of Trisha when I wrote that.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger ingenue said...

haha i love the translation of "my birth an error, your love the correction!"

actually, it sounds pretty cheesy. something i would shudder if someone sings this to me. but who am i to judge?

xwen

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger kosha said...

hey!!
was looking for the translation of this song for a long time...
thanx :-)

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Linie said...

Nice song...translation is fair enough for my foreign colleagues to understand, they love this song!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home