Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Moondram Pirai

Unn per enna? *Chukles*...Cheenu, Seenivasan. Irandu per aa? *Pauses*..Ithule ethavathu, onnu kuppita pothum. Cheeenuu..:)
- Seenivasan answering Viji.

The year Moondram Pirai was made: 1983. The year i watched it: 2005. Reputed to be one of the best movies ever made in Indian cinema. I am in complete agreement with the statement.

There were so many great memorable lines in this movie, choosing just a few to begin with, became such an arduous task; These lines, they were constantly filled with a sincere childlike ignorance and bluntness. You can say, the language used is very simple, but not too shallow to insult an adult viewer.

The outstanding visuals vividly expose and capture the intensity of its actors in almost every frame. Remember, the English Patient? The experience, somehow similar.

In a movie bereft of artificiality and fakeness such as this, the storyteller's sincerity in narrating is very apparent. And any story, told in greatest sincerity is worth listening. In fact, every aspect of the movie celebrates poignancy. With absolutely no unneccessary scenes, the movie finishes faster than most Indian movies but not less effective in conveying the actual content and plot to the audience.

I will watch it again, definitely. But why this post? Good things are best shared. I thought it'd be nice if I could share the feelings it created in words. Maybe I failed to express the idea clearly, I wouldn't know, but do know I only have positive things to say about this movie. To sum things up, I will simply say, this is my favourite Tamil movie.


Viji and Cheenu

2 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw it in 2007. Yesterday!

One of the best movies I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of movies I dare say are good. There is very little wrong with the idea of the movie.

The movie conveys a very delicate issue in a very meticulous and mature manner. Excellent performances from both Kamal and Sridevi, they were a great pair in this movie. The last few scenes are heart-rending. This movie, like Shawshank Redemption rests on a very firm and unambiguous set of morals and every so often it makes you think. One of the very few movies which makes you feel truly depressed at the end of watching it, because one tends to identify with the characters so much.

Ilayaraja's music also deserves mention here - an excellent song in Kanne Kalaimane.

This is one of the most sublime love stories I have ever seen on film.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger tech said...

Errata! Slipped my mind that it is 2008 now. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home